Here at DigitalHome, we are often asked as to how our smart locks work. Being able to grant access to guests from the app at any time? Sure, but wouldn’t the lock need to be connected online? The answer is no – and as unlikely as it seems, our DigitalHome smart lock does not need an internet connection to function.
Here’s a simple explanation of how it works.
The magic comes from the synchronization of our smart lock and our mobile app, even before the lock is installed.
You might have heard of synchronization. A similar system is used in online banking, where it requires its users to key in a one-time password generated from a security token. Like our lock, the security token is not connected to the internet. Yet it can generate codes that allow you to log into the system, and these codes change over time.
Essentially, there is a ‘formula’ that has been programmed in both the DigitalHome smart lock and our app (just like the bank system and security token), so that they can understand each other without being connected. Your PIN code holds the message – for e.g. grant access to this guest for 2 days – which the app needs to pass to the lock.
So, this is what happens:
- You click ‘Create PIN code’ in our DigitalHome app, and key in the validity period of the access you want to grant (e.g. the message).
- Our app uses the ‘formula’ to translate the message into a PIN code.
- You (or your guests) key the PIN code into our DigitalHome smart lock.
- Our lock uses the same ‘formula’ in reverse to translate the PIN code into the message.
- The lock then acts upon the message, and grants access to you (or the guests) for the number of days you keyed in.
Voila! It's called ‘Open Sesame’ in modern times.
Internet connection is not needed, as it was you (or your guests) were the one that communicated the necessary information from the app to the lock, via the PIN code.
Of course, in case you were wondering, each individual ‘formula’ for each DigitalHome smart lock is different. That way, you definitely cannot unlock someone else’s lock with your app and vice versa.
So that’s how our DigitalHome smart lock works offline, and keyless access is made possible without the internet. The technology behind the system is much more complicated than that – algorithms and seeds and many other technical terms are involved, but you probably wouldn’t want to go into the details.
Leave it to us and we’ll help you manage your home with ease.
Share this post
- Tags: best smartlock, cheapest smart lock, digitalhome, most secure smart lock, smart lock, smartlock