Here at DigitalHome, we are often asked as to how our smart locks work. Being able to grant access to guests from the app at any time? Sure, but wouldn’t the lock need to be connected online? The answer is no – and as unlikely as it seems, our DigitalHome smart lock does not need an internet connection to function.
Here’s a simple explanation of how it works.
DigitalHome uses the same technology with the online banking system called synchronization.
As is used in online banking, synchronization requires its users to key in a one-time password generated from a security token. Like our lock, the security token is not connected to the internet. This security token can generate codes that allows you to log into the system and these codes change over time.
Essentially, this is the same concept programmed in both the DigitalHome's Smart Lock and with our mobile application in your smartphone. (i.e. bank system and security token), so that they can communicate with each other without the need of the internet connection. Your PIN code holds the message.
So, this is what happens:
- You click ‘Create PIN code’ in our DigitalHome app, and key in the validity period of the access you want to grant (e.g. the message).
- Our app uses the ‘formula’ to translate the message into a PIN code.
- You (or your guests) key the PIN code into our DigitalHome smart lock.
- Our lock uses the same ‘formula’ in reverse to translate the PIN code into the message.
- The lock then acts upon the message, and grants access to you (or the guests) for the number of days you keyed in.
Internet connection is not needed, as it was you (or your guests) were the one that communicated the necessary information from your smartphone's mobile app to the lock, via the PIN code.
Of course, in case you were wondering, there is a unique program or ‘formula’ for each DigitalHome Smart Lock. You definitely cannot unlock someone else’s lock with your mobile app, and vice versa.
So that is how our DigitalHome smart lock works offline, and keyless access is made possible without the internet. The technology behind the system is much more complicated than that – algorithms and seeds and many other technical terms are involved, but you probably wouldn’t want to go into the details.
Leave it to us and we’ll help you manage your home with ease.
Share this post
- Tags: best smartlock, cheapest smart lock, digitalhome, most secure smart lock, smart lock, smartlock